Saturday, August 31, 2013

Winner Winner Lemon Chicken Dinner

I posted on Facebook last week that I had to freeze leftovers of my famous
Lemon Chicken Dinner, this is a rare occasion.
My cousin Jo Ann saw it & asked me for the recipe.
Truth be told I have made it for around 30 years and don't use one.
I rang my mother for the recipe and she didn't have one either!
It actually started as Orange chicken that I enjoyed growing up
I moved out of home at 19 & didn't know how to cook,
it was one of the first recipes I asked for.
I made it once and from then on it became Lemon Chicken
AKA winner winner Lemon Chicken dinner,
I would make it for my hubby and daughter before they had a cycle race.
I made it and measured as I went, this is fairly close

Original recipe - Orange Chicken (Thanks Mum)
1/4 cup flour seasoned with S&P (I use gluten free flour & dont bother seasoning)
chicken thighs
small amount of olive oil for browning
1 to 2 tsp grated orange rind and 1/2 cup orange juice (I ALWAYS use lemons)
1 cup chicken stock- I use massell brand and boiling water
1tsp chilli or hot pepper sauce (I don't add this & I'm sure Mum didn't use it)
1/4 cup dry sherry (I hardly ever used it and haven't for a long time)
*1 tbsp soy sauce
*1 tbs honey
*I don't use soy sauce or honey anymore, about a year ago I was in the middle
of preparation and I had no soy sauce, I substituted with Kecap Manis & we like it better.

Method
coat chicken with flour, brown on both sides and remove,
add 1tbsp flour & brown for a minute,
add liquid slowly and  remove lumps from flour.
Add chicken to pan, put lid on, simmer for 5 minutes,
turn chicken over add honey and taste
simmer another 5 minutes until cooked

The leftovers (if there are any) are just as nice.
It tastes slightly different each time I make it.
I have accidentally used beef stock and no one noticed!
Hope you enjoy it


No comments:

Post a Comment