Sunday, November 25, 2012

Allergies Part 2 - Rosin

In my previous post I spoke about my Cobalt allergy,
I am also allergic to Rosin (AKA colophony.)
Rosin is the sap from pine and spruce trees,
it is used to produce turpentine oil and colophony.
There are 3 types of colophony, gum wood and tall oil.
The only treatment for this allergy is avoidance
& as Colophony is found in so many everyday
products, it can prove difficult to avoid.
The photo to the right shows a reaction I
had to the glue on the seam of a pair of ankle boots,
I have had it for quite a few months now.
I have to be careful when I buy shoes that have
seams as they usually use glue as well as stitching
I also ended up with a red itchy band around my
ankles from the rubbery elastic in a pair of socks once
Other names for colophony are:
Abietic acid/alcohol, Abitol colophony,
Abietyl alcohol, Dertomal 18, Dercolyte ZS,
Methyl abietate alcohol, Dertophene 18,
Foral 105, Gum rosin, Granolite SG,
Hercolyn D,  rosin, rosin tall oil, staybelite10,
 terebinthinate, W-W wood
Colophony are found in the following items:
 Adhesives, such as sticking plasters, stamps, tapes & glues
* Ashphalt products
* Brewery pitch
*Caulking compound
 Cements for linoleum, rubber, shoes, lens coating
 Chewing gum
 Cleaners for machines, leather and removing grease from clothes, pine oil cleaners
* Clothing (prewashes, tackifier
 Cosmetics eg eyeshadow, lipsticks, mascara, rouge, hair pomade and transparent soaps, sunscreens
 Dental floss, Dental cements and impression pastes
 Depilating (hair-pull wax) agent
 Diapers, incontinence pads & feminine hygiene products
 Disinfectants and insecticides
 Fireworks
 Floor coverings (adhesive) e.g. linoleum
 Glues eg postage stamps
 Grease (axle) and lubricants
*Inks (ceramic, marking pens, printing)
*Insulation tape (electrical and thermal insulating tape)
*Jointing tape Match Tip
 Medicaments – as a preservative, adds adhesive properties to ointments and creams e.g. wart removers, nappy creams, cold sore cream, (disinfectants,insecticidespreservatives
 *Modelling clay
 * Nail polish
 Newspaper

* Oils (core oil, cutting oil, tall oil)
 Ostomy appliance
 Paints
 Paper Products (largest single use) – adds water resistance, glossy paper, photographic paper, can labels, toilet paper
 Pens – felt tip & artist pens
 Polish for floors, furniture, shoes and cars, coffee beans
 Polythene (polyethylene)
 Printing – inks, paper & photograph
 Resins eg epoxy resin, those used for musical instruments
 Rubber – synthetic, neoprene
 Sawdust and resins of pine and spruce and wood fillers
 Sealants
 Shoes (adhesives) and clothing

* soaps
 Soldering fluxes and soldering agents
 Solvents
 Stains
 Surface coatings eg price labels, rust-proofing, 
 Tacky substances – to prevent slipping eg athletic grips, sports handles (golf, tennis)
 Varnishes
 Waterproofing agents eg. Cardboard
 Waxes


I've found that I am allergic to makeup and shampoo/ conditioner, I avoid anything that has a sparkly/opalescent look, I also stopped dyeing my hair. 
Feminine hygiene  products proved difficult, especially when i was menstruating every fortnight which was for about 5 years, 
luckily I don't have to worry about that anymore. 
Stress also makes the problem worse, so de-stressing techniques can be beneficial. 
My advice would be to have an allergen test if you suspect an allergy that way you can avoid the allergen and can possibly prevent hypersensitivity.

1 comment:

  1. My goodness you poor thing! It's found in so many everyday products!I looked through your list to see if knitting/crocheting yarns were there. Now that would have been devastating for you! Did you gradually develop these allergies or have you had problems all your life? I've heard of people who have had to make huge life changes as they were allergic to 'modern life'...big upheavals to try to be healthy.

    ReplyDelete